Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Soldiers of the Cross - LCMS Military Chaplains

 Major Roger Heinz was the first LCMS military chaplain to be killed in the line of duty in Vietnam.

Approximately, 58000 members of the United States Armed Forces were killed during the Vietnam War.  On December 9, 1969, a UH-1H helicopter carrying six men crashed en route from Minh Long to Ba To.  One of the six men aboard was Major Roger W. Heinz of Coventry, Conneticut.  Major Heinz was an Army chaplain with a Special Forces unit and a pastor of The Lutheran--Church Missouri Synod.  He had previously been placed in harm’s way four years earlier during the United States’ brief incursion into the Dominican Republic in 1965.  Heinz had been conducting a service outside the base camp and was returning when a mob stormed the jeep throwing rocks and Heinz and his driver.  Like St. Paul before him, Heinz actually survived being stoned and made it back to the camp.  However when the helicopter went down in Vietnam, neither he nor the five other men aboard would survive.  Major Heinz was one of thirteen Army chaplains who were killed during the Vietnam War. 

In 1986, Chaplain Heinz’s widow, Lois, spoke to the LCMS Youth Gathering in Washington D.C.  She spoke about her grief and the challenge of raising two young daughters without their father.  But Mrs. Heinz also spoke about the importance of her husband’s work and the great comfort that her faith in Christ provided.  In particular, she told of two lives that were impacted by Chaplain Heinz’s service.  She said:
         
About six months after my husband's death, I received a phone call from a woman in Ohio. I don't even remember her name, but I do remember what she said to me.  “I just had to call and tell you what your husband did for my husband and myself. When my husband left for Vietnam, our marriage was just about over. My husband was drinking heavily and things didn't look good for us.  While in Vietnam, my husband had many counseling sessions with your husband. In fact, he had had a session the day Chaplain Heinz was killed. The main reason I am calling you is to tell you that because of your husband, we now have a happy marriage; no more drinking, and both my husband and I have returned to the Lord. I just wanted you to know about the good work your husband did and to say thank you."


                As our country observes its annual day to remember those who lost their lives in service to our country’s defense, it is good for us to also recognize the partnership between church and state for the sake of our military personnel.  Our country does not truly practice a separation of church and state, but a recognition of the different roles and responsibilities assigned to the each entity.  From the earliest of days, the church has served the state by providing military chaplains to serve the spiritual needs of the armed forces personnel.  When General George Washington became the commander of the Continental Army in 1775, there were already 15 clergymen serving as chaplains in the ranks. 

                The first LCMS pastor to serve as a military chaplain was Rev. Friedrich Richmann in 1862.  Rev. Richmann served the 58th Regiment of the Ohio Volunteers during the Civil War.  The archives of Concordia Historical Institute include a diary that Richmann kept during the Civil War.  Today, the LCMS has 173 active duty and reserve chaplains serving in all branches of the Armed Forces.  Their duty ranges from forward to deployments to service at military hospitals and even Coast Guard bases.  Recently, a new book, Mission at Nuremberg, has been published recounting the pastoral care provided by U.S. Army Captain Henry Gerecke to the German prisoners during the Nuremberg trials, including Herman Goering.  In 2014, Captain Michael Frese, a LCMS pastor from Ft. Wayne, Indiana, was awarded the Purple Heart after injuries he sustained during an enemy attack in May 2011. 

                These are critical times during which military chaplains can serve a vital role of support, encouragement and counsel to the members of our Armed Forces and their families.  Military chaplaincy is one of the ways in which the State and the Church can work together for the common good of our citizens, but especially our military personnel.  Memorial Day is an important time for our citizens to remember those who gave their lives in service to their country during all of the various conflicts.  We also pray that those who are serving in places such as Afghanistan and Iraq would be preserved from all harm and danger.  This is also a time that we can be thankful for the partnership that enables military chaplains to provide spiritual care for those who serve our country at home and abroad. 
                 As a reminder of the challenges that many families face, Lois Heinz also spoke about the uncertainty that she felt after her husband was reported missing and the sorrow that gripped her when she learned of his death.  But most of all, Lois Heinz’s words remind us of the purpose of military chaplains from the perspective of the Church - to provide comfort and hope in Christ in any and every situation.  Once again from Mrs. Heinz’s presentation. 
 
On December 9, 1969, I was informed by the Army that my husband was missing in action. For almost two weeks, I did not know if he were dead or alive. I prayed that he would be found alive. I told myself, "He can't be dead; he has a wife and two daughters waiting for him to come home. He's too young to die. He has a lot more work to do here on earth. The Lord wouldn't take him now." But, on December 19, any hope I had had during the past two weeks was gone when I was told his body had been found and identified. He died when the helicopter in which he was a passenger crashed into the side of a mountain and burned. He died while on his way to another camp where he was going to proclaim the saving grace of Jesus Christ. He had been called by our church and our Lord to do the work of our Heavenly Father, and he gave his life in the process.  I experienced many different feelings at that time. There was, to be sure, much sadness and also some bitterness. Many questions came to mind. Some of those questions were: “How will I ever make it without him? How will I raise two children by myself?" The most immediate question was: "How will I make it through the memorial service and the funeral?" That question was answered very quickly while I was attending the memorial service at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. I had chosen two of my husband's favorite hymns "For All the Saints" and "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God." As the congregation started singing "For All The Saints," I suddenly found myself singing with them. Not only did I make it through the service, but I also participated in the service. My husband was buried in Arlington National Cemetery on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1969. I am convinced that without faith I could never have made it through that time in my life. The Lord was with me. He guided me and gave me the strength to carry on. He put my life back in order. “

              
                Mrs. Heinz found comfort in the same message which her husband had been called to proclaim to soldiers placed in harm’s way.  The message of Christ’s death and resurrection is the only true comfort for troubled hearts on the field of battle and grieving families back home.  It is a blessing that pastors such as Roger Heinz serve the Church and their country in proclaiming the Gospel as military chaplains. 

                These are also trying times for our chaplains when external forces would seek to restrict their witness and call them to violate their conscience on a host of issues.  This is all the more reason for us to be vigilant in praying for those who bear the responsibility of serving the Church and the nation.  It is our prayer that God would strengthen our chaplains to be faithful servants in bearing witness to Christ and as they bring the comfort and consolation that is only found in the Gospel to hurting soldiers and families. 


My next blog post will be on the calling of soldiers and will be posted on Memorial Day.

3 comments:

  1. I served with chaplain Heinz 1966 - 68. I miss him yet. We are. Russ and Pam Erbstoesser. Christ Lutheran
    Boulder City NV

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was confirmed at Fort Bragg by Chaplain Heinz in 1968.
    I think of him frequently as he helped deepen my roots in God’s Word and Lutheran confessions.

    ReplyDelete